Saturday, July 30, 2011

Project Gift-Give

Here's a fun project I came up with. My cousin is getting married and his Mom (my Aunt) wanted to do something special for the bride. Putting together a bridal shower with our family is nearly impossible since we are scattered through the US. Instead she decided to have us mail in kitchen tidbits, recipes that we love, advice about meal planning, utensils or tools that we find useful.

My plan is to send a piece of our California family to them in St. Louis. So I am sending these potholders... 

I got some from my sister as a birthday gift and I love them so much. They make me smile and I'm hoping will do the same for my new family member.

We just can't help but love Mickey in this house. Here is Ev enjoying the Road Rally episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse this morning...

I also wanted to do something special for my...Cousin-in-law(?). That's why I came up with this new project idea. It was super quick and easy to make and I love the results. I started with a $5 recipe binder from Michael's.
Here it is before...
No offense to Paula Dean but it was just a bit too ordinary for me. As you can see in the photo I proceeded to gather supplies from my stash that color coordinated.

I picked up some cork contact paper from Lowe's as well. The nice thing about this is that it is already adhesive and super sticky....

I measured out my piece by laying the binder out flat on the white side and tracing it. Then it was as simple as cutting the cork and sticking it on. I started on the inside of one cover, peeled a small section of backing off and began to carefully adhere it to the binder. I watched for bubbling and made sure that it was lined up with the top and bottom respectively....and I went until the whole cover was...covered. :)

Fast forward a bit and I have adhered a piece of patterned paper by Cosmo Cricket to the cork using Mod Podge. (LOVE that stuff!) I then began to place some different elements. I refrained from adhering at this point because I was not sure how I wanted it to look. I tired to choose colors that compliment the potholder portion of the gift at the same time not making it too is a recipe binder after all.

Almost done now. I have the main focal point on the front cover done. But it needed a little something extra. Hmmmmm.

When in doubt, add a banner...
Here is the finished recipe binder.

Most of the products on this project came from a Cosmo Cricket paper pack and October Afternoon stickers that I had in my stash. That is the nice thing about the packs or kits, they are already coordinated for you. This particular kit was great because it had a cooking theme. It was easy to pull some complimentary paper to make my own banner. I played around with the shapes and sizes until I found something I liked. The twine adds some nice texture and Mod Podge came in handy once again to keep it in place.

What do you think? I'm thinking I should make one for myself too.

Since that project was so quick and easy here is how we were able to spend the rest of our afternoon...
Nakiah's new helicopter was just begging to be flown.
Baby-zilla even managed to keep her hands off of it.
All is right in the world.

Tomorrow I am going to attend Unique LA! I'm thrilled that it works out with my schedule and even more happy that my lil' sis can watch the babe. That way I can actually pay attention to all of the crafty eye candy instead of attempting to wrangle her.---
Nakiah doesn't know what he is in for having to go to this with me though. Maybe I will owe him some actual candy for going...or another flying machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment