Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Journal DIY

This is a cool project. I wanted my 9 year old to have a journal for this summer. For a few reasons, really. One is that he is going into the fourth grade next year and needs to practice writing skills. Another is that I loved journals growing up and would have killed to have one specially made for me. (I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to make it myself, but, oh well.) Also, he tends to get super bored during the summer and this is just one more thing, fingers crossed, that will entertain him. And finally, selfishly, I want him to record all of his feelings, activities, drawings, dirt, and rocks in one special little place. Maybe we can even make it a tradition.

Here it is ready for Nakiah to fill as his little heart desires...
Front Cover

Inside pages...

Transparent sheet with a doodled mustache. He can draw other accessories for his photo.


More inside pages.  Lots of blanks for him to fill, as well as journal prompts.

He says he is most excited to draw himself.

Back cover. (N.D. are his initials, in case you were wondering.)

He loves it....
The best part is that it actually made him feel really special. 

So that's it.  A quick and easy, anything goes, summer journal for your kiddo.  All you need is a few pieces of chipboard (for durability) and some other products of your choosing.  You can even throw in a few pieces of notebook paper, or tags, pages from a favorite book.  It's up to you! Mine was made predominantly from Fancy Pants Rough and Tough collection, as well as some odds and ends I had laying around.  It's a great stash buster.  I love that it is really rough around the edges and has an unfinished look. I can't wait to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment