Thursday, March 12, 2015

Roller Derby Makes Me Happy

This photo says it all...


While all of my league mates are flexing their super cut biceps, or showing their best grrrr face, there's me... smiling.. more than that, laughing (true story: I'm laughing in this photo because the photographer had asked me to turn my face in the other direction for a couple of shots. Then as soon as I did she said, "Oh! No! Nope, turn back the other way.. that's definitely your good side." For some reason I found that absolutely hilarious. I never knew I had a good side, and apparently a very bad side!) But I love this photo because it's exactly how I feel inside when I play derby... giddy like a child. 

Teammates have blatantly asked me, what the heck is wrong with you?? Every time I hit you as hard as I can you say, Yes! Good! Do it again, harder! My answer: I can't help it, I just love it! I love the competition in every single moment of a jam. I love the challenge of skating your heart out, and leaving every ounce of energy on the track. I love the physicality, the camaraderie. The fact that after bouts I feel like I've been hit by a Mac truck, but I also have that satisfying feeling of having kicked some serious butt. I was made for this sport. I truly believe that. It suits people who have strong bodies, stronger minds, and play with all their heart. It makes me so happy to have found it, and to have a family (special shout out to Hottie.. couldn't do it without your unwavering support, babe.) who supports it.
(There's me, with the star.)


I'm surprised I haven't shared much about how my second season is going on the blog. I've sat down a number of times to write about what's going on.. but I guess I never found the words. The truth is that this season could not be going any better. (maybe I'm afraid to write that in case I'll jinx it?) 

I've been placed on the A/B teams as a chartered skater. That means I am an All-Star (yeah, you heard it.. All Star!! whoa!), part of HazMat Crew (B teams name) :), and chartered (which means I am designated as a top 20 skater in our league who can then compete against other teams in the nation for rankings.) I'm working my tail off to keep my charter spot, and have also been voted in as HazMat co-Captain. I'm all in... and that's perfect for me too. I'm improving every single practice.

I have big goals for this season, and the determination to make them happen. Our league is flourishing, our teams are gel-ing, and I have a front row seat. The end of the month marks our first tournament (and my first time to New York!). I'll play with both the All-Stars and HazMat... possibly several games in 36 hrs. I smile just thinking about that. Sure, I'm nervous. It's a lot of pressure... a lot for a body to handle.. a lot of unknowns. But this is what I was made for... and it makes me so super happy to be able to play and push the limits to realize my full potential.

 Oh! And I won this at my last bout! (a snow-globe trophy. how cool is that?) 


So, I'm done tooting my own horn now. :) Thanks for indulging my Makes Me Happy week thus far.

7 comments:

  1. It's pretty awesome that you found a sport you love so much! Not to mention it's pretty badass too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I forget how bad ass it really is.. and then I look at my body that's covered in bruises and that makes me remember.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a great season..MVP and finding something that you love so much. Pure joy on that face...AND that gorgeous hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you've found something that you enjoy so much! I love your picture. I have a friend who is one of the top players on the team in Lexington, she'd always show off her bruises, lol. That could be a new segment Wednesday Wounds? Hematoma Thursday? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally do a segment like that! I have the bruises to easily support it. One time I had a giant one on my arm that I swear looked like Doug, the cartoon character.

      Delete
  4. YOU GO AHEAD AND TOOT YOUR OWN HORN ALL YOU WANT TO!!! ANd then I will toot it too!! YOu are awesomely cool and it does the heart good to see you so happy!!! Goodness - your beautiful and adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete