Monday, April 23, 2012

A Whale of a Time

Since we are leaving Southern California soon, (SO very soon) we are trying to do some things that we won't be able to do in Kentucky. Things I've never done before. Bucket List things (CHECK) Two of these things happened to be sea animal related. Yesterday we went to Balboa for some whale watching....

Nakiah was really excited about the binoculars.

 We followed a grey whale and it's baby for awhile...So COOL! The kids were super happy (I know, I know, our teen is just barely cracking a smile. Trust me, it means he was having the time of his life.) :)...

We saw a TON of dolphins. More than we could count. Seriously, HUNDREDS! They followed along and played with our boat for quite some time...


We saw baby dolphins too (is there a name for those?) (Ok. I just googled it...they are called calfs, but I think baby dolphins sounds much cuter, so I'm going with it.) and ones that swam sideways and upside down. Tons of them leapt really high out of the water and showed off as well. Being surrounded by these happy creatures was a serious highlight in my life. Magical. I just kept saying, "this is SO NEAT," over and over and over. I know, I am so poetic and clever. 

Nakiah was super duper excited and is not too cool to show it...
 unless his bro is around, and then he plays it a little more close to the vest...
 Oh, bro went inside the boat? "I'm the king of the wooooooorld," he yelled. (Has he even seen that movie? EVER? I have NO idea when he saw that movie!--Still it was cute!)
 He enjoyed every second, just like me...and BTW has THE BEST BOAT HAIR EVER!

 Oh, and we saw super lazy sea lions....

And in other whale news...
A couple of weeks ago while the kiddos were on Spring Break we made a short trek to Sea World....
 Too bad the kids didn't have any fun... :)
 Whoa! Can you believe I took this with my iphone?!...oh, and the trick is super amazing too...




I'm glad we got the chance to do some of these amazing things together as a family before we tackle new adventures Kentucky style. When we do I'm confident we'll still have a whale of a time, even if there are no actual whales to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment