Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Very Merry 2 Year Old Christmas

Recovering nicely from yesterday. Maybe I'll feel even better about my energy level tomorrow after a long awaited day off (hallelujah, amen.) The last two weeks have been a whirl wind and I have had to manage my Griswold-like expectations some. I realize that this is a combination of working for a grocery store and having a two year old. Some things are just not coming together as planned. For instance...

There is a thief among us...
 Albeit a cute one, but a thief nonetheless...

She seems to think that the tree is her own  personal toy gifting suite. She particularly loves the "balls" (don't worry, not glass).

Maybe we gave her the wrong message whilst trimming the tree...
 It makes no sense to her that she could swing them around and throw them on the ground that first night but isn't supposed to go near them now...oops, mixed messages.

It's been an ongoing process since the fir went up...she tugs, and pulls, and snatches with all of her might, and runs away with glee. and I chase her down and shout (happy holidays, I know) "NO! We DON't touch!" Then she cries and we repeat this over and over. It's a fun little Christmas game we've invented. Well, as long as it doesn't become tradition I guess it's fine. :) 

At least I was able to snap a pic of our pride and joy before she got her grubby little two year old hands on it!.....

Currently there are 2/3 fewer ornaments adorning it. 

The other thing that has had to change is one I did not think about. At. ALL. Remember when I told you that "pretty packages tied up with string," was on my Christmas To-Do list? What I was thinking was something like this.... 
I made this for a wedding recently.

It sparked my interest in gift wrap. I was excited to go crazy with my punches, paper, ribbon, and string. I even bought some kraft wrap and other neutral colors. Last week I wrapped a few gifts. And my dear little elf promptly unwrapped them (good job keeping an eye on her, Hottie ;). So now it is clear that this is not the year for pretty, perfectly quaffed gifts. It may in fact be the year for packages tied up with duct tape. (Get into THAT kid, I dare ya!) Maybe instead it's the year for using up all of those random rolls leftover from Christmases past. Maybe that is a good thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment